IN A NUTSHELL
At Bellroy, we put our heart, soul and countless design hours into helping the world carry better. We geek out – unashamedly – on data and technology that helps us do that, and like to inject a bunch of ‘science’ into the things we do (to balance the ‘art’). We collect plenty of data, and have a dedicated data science team that works on crunching it (which you will be a part of). The data team needs someone to help us transform our data into accessible, usable information that actively supports the decisions the rest of the business is making. We’re really after someone who is fascinated by the applied side of business analysis. You’re someone who really wants data to be used to make a difference in the world, and you want to be at the heart of making that happen. If you bring your clear-thinking mind, and focus on practical applications of data to help us, our world class team will give you the freedom, resources and support you need to make a difference.
IT TAKES A SPECIAL KIND OF HUMAN…
You understand that information is power, and you’re keen to help get more usable information into the hands of decision makers. You think it matters that people have the right information, and you get a kick out of seeing the difference it can make when you get it into the right hands. You may be relatively inexperienced, but you’re an imaginative and strategic thinker. Your mind is sharp, and you are keen to keep improving how you apply it.
You care about the accuracy of the information you provide, and you take care to make sure it’s right. If a request is unclear, you’ll clarify it before getting stuck in. If you get asked for something that’s not the most practical, you’ll focus on understanding the problem so that you can help to come up with a better way. You love spotting patterns and joining dots. And your natural thirst for knowledge keeps you coming back for more. If you want to join a team that will celebrate your love of learning and desire to deliver information that can help a business thrive, we’d love to meet you.
THERE ARE A FEW SKILLS WE’D LIKE YOU TO HAVE…
- An interest in the commercial aspects of a business like Bellroy (for example, understanding what drives gross profit).
- Some experience with using data, including sourcing data from different systems, making sure it’s clean (or cleaning it if necessary); and a strong interest in drawing practical insights out of it.
- A strong interest in communicating with people (both technical and non-technical) and a desire to be really practically useful.
- Basic proficiency with SQL and programming (you don’t have to be a data scientist, a programmer or a statistician, but you probably need to have dabbled a bit in this area).
- A knack for seeing which insights and pieces of information are the important ones for decision making, and an interest in designing reports that focus on the most important pieces while giving enough context to let people dive deeper if they want to.
- Attention to detail. You care about the nitty gritty of cell labelling and table naming (in a sales order, does “time” mean the time the order was placed? Fulfilled? Recorded in the database? What currency is “price” in? And so on…). You care because you know that these little things mean that your colleagues can really quickly absorb the information you are providing, and draw appropriate conclusions from it.
- An ability to think about data flows: given some messy source data, you can find a clean normalised form, and see how to extract that clean data from the messy source.
IF YOU WERE ALREADY HERE, LAST WEEK YOU MIGHT HAVE…
- Had a look at a draft departmental dashboard, compared it against the department’s goals and made some suggestions for how the dashboard might be improved to help people make better informed decisions.
- Fielded a couple of report requests from managers, and decided whether to:
- Teach them how to answer their questions using our reporting tools;
- Generate a report for them (as a one-off or a new standard report);
- Clarify the request to build a new task for the rest of the data team to solve, getting to the heart of decisions the report must help a person make (rather than reflect the information that person might be interested in knowing).
- Written an Airflow job to transform a new data source, having done the SQL parts yourself and specified tasks for the rest of data team when the statistics get too hairy for you. (We don’t expect you to already know how to use Airflow.)
- Reviewed the results of the last round of our internal prediction market, and:
- plotted with our general improvements team to design the next round of questions, optimising for both the usefulness of the information we gain and how engaging (fun!) the game is for our team;
- plotted with our flourishing team to improve the effectiveness of the activity as training for others to become better decision makers.
- Created Guestimate models, collaborating with our general improvements team, to:
- estimate how profitable an online-only gift card program might be if we implemented it;
- estimate the effectiveness of some proposed in-store point-of-sale displays;
- form a template for estimating the cost of delay on our product development projects.
WHY WORK FOR BELLROY?
Bellroy’s mission is to inspire better ways to carry; use business as a force for good; and help the world – and our crew – flourish. We do good by making great products that delight people in their everyday lives; by innovating and testing better ways to help our staff love their work and grow as people; and by donating a portion of our revenue to some of the world’s most effective charities. We have a beautiful office space in Fitzroy (and another smaller one in Bells Beach), and we are constantly looking for better ways to do… well, everything. Want to help us?
LOCATION AND HOURS
This is a full time role based at our office in Fitzroy, Melbourne.
We're ready when you are!